Sapphires and asters are the symbols for the month of September, making them excellent inspiration for birthday gifts this month. Although celebrating your favorite September celebrant with a beautiful gift of sapphire gemstones may not be possible, you could design a bouquet inspired by the vivid blue hue. A floral arrangement which features asters is also a great choice!
In the spirit of September birthdays, we’re celebrating with some fun facts about sapphires and asters. And when you are ready to send a gift, ask one of the floral experts at Adrian Durban Florist about ways to include asters or other blue-hued flowers in your arrangements this month!
Fun Facts About Sapphires
- Originating in the mountains throughout India and Thailand, sapphires come in a variety of colors, ranging from pinks and oranges to deep indigos and blues. The deep blue color is the most iconic and the most valuable shade.
- Sapphires are considered “celestial,” or having to do with the sky. Ancient Egyptians believed the Earth was set on this gemstone, giving the sky its blue color.
- Sapphires were a favorite among priests and kings during the middle ages because they symbolize wisdom and purity.Here’s a Tip: Sapphire blue flowers can include delphinium, iris, orchids, or forget-me-nots.
Fun Facts About Asters
- This September blossom derives its name from its lush, star-shaped petals (Aster means “star”).
- Like sapphires, asters come in a wide range of colors, from blues and purples to pinks and reds.
- During the Victorian Era, when secret meanings were attached to flowers, the aster’s message was,”Take care of yourself for me.”
This Summertime Splash Bouquet, shown above, squeezes as much color and variety into one cube vase as possible! Pink asters mix with roses, lilies, Gerber daisies, chrysanthemums and more in this festive design.
As you celebrate September birthdays throughout Cincinnati this month, think about including sapphire blue flowers or asters in your celebration. Talk to the floral designers at Adrian Durban Florist today, and let’s design a beautiful birthday wish!